If there’s one place the place saved seconds can critically add up, it is in your smartphone’s on-screen keyboard.
This does not get almost sufficient consideration amongst common tech-totin’ animals, however Android has an superior benefit over that (cough, cough) different cellular platform relating to textual content enter. All it takes is 2 minutes of making an attempt to sort textual content on an iDevice to see simply how a lot of a great factor we have got goin’ (and to make your self need to gouge your eyes out with the closest overpriced Apple accent).
And what? Whereas we have got no scarcity of commendable Android keyboard apps to select from, Google’s personal Gboard keyboard actually is the right instance of how easy, efficient, and expandable the Android typing expertise may be. Gboard works nicely proper out of the digital field, and when you begin poking round within the mustiest corners of its settings, you will uncover some tucked-away treasures that may inject all types of seconds-saving sorcery into your Android enter course of.
So crack these phalanges and put together for pro-level productiveness: We’re diving in deep to Gboard’s least traveled surfaces to take your Android typing expertise to dizzying new speeds.
Gboard setting No. 1: Swifter image summoning
- 1 Gboard setting No. 1: Swifter image summoning
- 2 Gboard setting No. 2: A fair sooner urgent motion
- 3 Gboard setting No. 3: The quickest quantity entry
- 4 Gboard setting No. 4: Simpler emoji expression
- 5 Gboard setting No. 5: Customized keyboard top
- 6 Gboard setting No. 6: The one-tap auto-correct undo
- 7 Gboard setting No. 7: The sentence-ending step-saver
At the beginning, should you’re something like most dual-thumbed Android cellphone homeowners, you most likely waste tons of time looking for symbols in your Android system’s keyboard — every thing from asterisks to at-signs and pluses to parentheses.
Nicely, my fellow fast-fingered feline, there is a greater approach.
Begin by heading into Gboard’s settings (by tapping the gear-shaped image within the keyboard’s prime row — or, should you do not see that image there, tapping the three-line menu icon in that very same space after which discovering the gear-shaped icon on the display screen that comes up subsequent). Then:
- Faucet “Preferences.”
- Scroll all the best way all the way down to the underside of the following display screen and discover the “Lengthy-press for symbols” possibility.
- Faucet the toggle subsequent to it to show it on.
Now again out of that menu, and when Gboard comes again into view, search for the small characters within the nook of each letter.
Press and maintain your fingers to any of these letters, and hey — how ’bout that?!
Summoning symbols has by no means been so speedy.
Gboard setting No. 2: A fair sooner urgent motion
That symbol-summoning tweak is supreme, however do not transfer on together with your beautiful life simply but — ‘trigger there is a actually efficient method to make it even extra environment friendly.
March your hindquarters again into these Gboard settings, and this time:
- Faucet “Preferences.”
- Scroll down all the best way and search for the road labeled “Key long-press delay.”
- Faucet it — then slide that slider all the way down to concerning the 200ms mark.
That’ll make the time it takes for a long-press to be registered in your keyboard noticeably smaller — which in flip will allow you to faucet into these secondary image shortcuts with out having to carry a key down for almost as lengthy.
Strive it out for some time on the 200ms setting and see whatcha assume. I discover that degree to be an ideal steadiness of pace and accuracy, with long-presses registering quick sufficient to keep away from interrupting your typing circulate but additionally not taking place so simply that you simply’re more likely to set off ’em inadvertently.
You may need to lift or decrease the extent somewhat to search out the just-right spot that tickles your typing fancy, however no matter the place precisely you land, I would be keen to wager you will find yourself with a significantly better state of affairs than what the usual Gboard setup provides you by default.
Gboard setting No. 3: The quickest quantity entry
Utilizing these secondary characters is a good way to get to numbers rapidly. If you end up typing tons of digits in your Android system and need to make numbers even simpler to entry, although, Gboard’s acquired you coated.
Dig again into these Gboard settings, then:
- Faucet “Preferences.”
- Flip the toggle subsequent to “Quantity row” on the prime of the display screen.
That’ll offer you a everlasting row of numbers on the prime of your more and more customized Android keyboard — thus making each digit simply one faucet away as a substitute of a faucet and a maintain.
And this is a hidden bonus tip associated to that: You’d by no means comprehend it, as there isn’t any seen indication, however after you have that quantity row lively, you possibly can press and maintain any of these characters to get a pop-up checklist of associated numerical choices — fractions, superscripts, and even an on-demand holographic illustration of The Depend from Sesame Avenue.*
* Holographic muppet obtainable solely throughout intense hallucinations.
Gboard setting No. 4: Simpler emoji expression
Perhaps you are much less of a numbers individual and extra of an emoji creature. Hey, all of us have alternative ways of expressing ourselves.
In case you’re incessantly injecting smilies, kitten faces, and/or piggy snoots into your Vital Enterprise Communications, you will positively need to be aware of Gboard’s exceptionally environment friendly emoji-enhancing choices.
So get your self again to these Gboard settings, faucet “Emojis, Stickers, & GIFs,” and pay particular consideration to 3 prospects inside that space:
- First, the “Emoji fast-access row” toggle will add a whole devoted row of not too long ago used emojis onto the highest of your keyboard.
- If you wish to take it down a notch from there however nonetheless hold your favourite smiley symbols shut, attempt the “Emojis in symbols keyboard” change as a substitute.
- Or, for a extra contextual and on-demand method, flip on the “Emojis” possibility underneath “Options whereas typing.” That’ll trigger choose emojis to look inside the usual Gboard textual content suggestion space, proper alongside your common next-word predictions.
Now, that is I name efficient symbolism.
Gboard setting No. 5: Customized keyboard top
Desire a extra plentiful house for plopping down your plus-sized fingies? Whether or not you’ve got added additional rows into your Gboard setup otherwise you’re simply craving a roomier association, take complete management of your Android keyboard interface by making your keyboard the precise proper measurement for you:
- Again within the Gboard settings, faucet “Preferences.”
- This time, discover the road for “Keyboard top.”
- Faucet that dangerous boy and experiment with the totally different obtainable choices.
- Rejoice (and/or rejuice, as wanted).
Gboard setting No. 6: The one-tap auto-correct undo
Auto-correct is concurrently probably the greatest fashionable tech improvements identified to mankind and one of the crucial maddening bits of computerized wizardry to ever enter our lives.
The following time your Android keyboard auto-corrects one thing incorrectly, although, do not scream and throw your cellphone on the nearest bovine. Or, I do not know, do — if that bovine was actually asking for it.
However both approach, make this snazzy little Gboard settings adjustment, and you will have lots much less frustration:
- Within the “Textual content correction” part of Gboard’s settings, discover the road labeled “Undo auto-correct on backspace.”
- Make sure that the toggle subsequent to it’s within the on place.
With that teensy tweak in place, anytime Gboard adjustments one thing you’ve got typed and you are not thrilled with its correction, you possibly can merely hit the Backspace key on the keyboard — the left-facing arrow form with an “x” in it, in Gboard’s lower-right nook.
So long as you do it pretty rapidly after the auto-correct happens, earlier than you hit another keys, that’ll change your phrase again to the best way you’d initially entered it — faulty or not. And that is a pleasant form of energy to have.
Gboard setting No. 7: The sentence-ending step-saver
Final however not least, let’s take a look at one in every of Gboard’s best and in addition easiest step-savers — one thing that for some motive is not sometimes enabled by default.
I am talkin’ concerning the keyboard’s capacity to routinely fill in a interval for you whenever you hit the spacebar twice on the finish of a sentence. Helpful, no?
All you’ve got gotta do is fireplace up the related setting one time:
- Again within the Gboard settings “Textual content correction” part, discover the road for “Autospace after punctuation.” (For some motive, it is nonetheless thought-about a beta function — and it is obtainable provided that you are utilizing Gboard with U.S. English as its language. So should you do not see it in your setup, that is most likely why.)
- Flip that toggle into the on place.
And at that time, all that is left is to sort, sort, sort away — while basking within the information that ending a sentence won’t ever take greater than a single double-space.
Now, if solely ending precise conversations could possibly be really easy.
Get much more superior shortcut information with my free Android Shortcut Supercourse. You may study tons of time-saving tips to your cellphone!
Copyright © 2022 IDG Communications, Inc.